Shopping for the right fragrance can be very complicated. It’s not that easy as many would think. We’ve gathered some of the most useful tips on how you can find the perfect scent for yourself.
1. An important rule in choosing a fragrance – don’t wear any perfume or even scented lotion. It’s advisable to have a clean, fresh and fragrance-free skin.
2. Fragrance blotters are important. You can evaluate and analyze a scent with the use of blotter strips. Sniffing the bottle can only let you smell the top notes unlike if you use blotter strips, you can experience the entirety of the fragrance. The best way to smell a fragrance blotter is to keep a good distance from your nose. Or, another effective way is to wave the strip in front of the nose.
3. Fragrances fall under so many categories – floral , citrusy, oriental and a lot more. Look for something that will suit your personality by researching and reading reviews. Familiarize yourself with the scents and create a list of potential perfumes you’ll be trying in the counters. This will save a lot of time.
4. We have our own unique body chemistry that can change the smell of perfume significantly. What smells good on others, may not give you the same positive result. So, testing fragrances on your skin is still the best way in helping you choose the perfect scent.
Quick Tip: Never rub your wrist after trying on a perfume it will reduce the effect and make the scent fade easily.
5. Your sense of smell can also become confused. Make sure that you try at least 4 fragrances only in one day.
Perfume Application Techniques
1. The most well-known technique in applying perfumes is spritzing it on your pulse points. These include: behind your ear, inside your elbow, at the bottom of your throat, on your wrist and behind your knee. Your heart rate can be felt on the pulse points and the warmth can diffuse the perfume across your entire body.
2. It’s not advisable to apply perfume directly on clothes since some perfumes leave stains on fabrics. Just to be sure, it’s better to spritz before getting dressed.
3. Spray a little bit of perfume on your hairbrush while blow-drying to keep your locks smelling lovely, too. The heat will spread out the scent into the hair as it dries.
4. If your favorite fragrance also offers soap, body wash or body lotion of the same scent, apply these products to make the scent extend throughout the day.